Swollen Adventuresss

Episode LXXXIV - just when you think that you're in control...


Attitude is everything. Attitude is everything. I will continue to be positive... even when things are difficult... I will...


I am still the half full cup...


It seems that activity, heat, and general living can create havoc with my lymphedema. I live in the south... with hot, humid summers for crying out loud. I like to paint. I like to type. I like to be busy. Ok, I like to do more than I should after cancer treatment (such as ripping up the old flooring to lay down new flooring), but I am an active person. I am a lot less active than I used to be, but I want to do some of the things I used too. Plus, I am right handed and my lymphedema is in my right arm and hand. Cruel irony!


 
I think I might have been a hand model...


So last week I went to the medical supply store to get a compression sleeve. Apparently I have the biggest upper arm in the world. Ok, that is an exaggeration... but they made me feel like I was freakishly disproportionate. My upper arm is more swollen than my hand. I know... my lymphedema is worse in my upper arm and arm pit area. I cannot have such odd dimensions that a general sleeve will not fit me!?!?!

Because of my freakishness they said I would have to have a custom sleeve. I was shocked because online there are companies that carry my dimensions (I know because I looked it up after I got home). Of course I was more annoyed because an off-the-shelf compression sleeve is around $100-$150 and the special ordered custom sleeve will start somewhere in the $200s. That does not include the price for the gauntlet (glove). Nothing with cancer has been cheap!!!

Even though I need a more durable medical sleeve I felt less rushed to buy it since my OT ordered a compression sleeve that I can wear on a general basis. So, I will wait to see if the ordered one fits before I feel bad because I have one of the only lymphedema arms in the city that is so unusually swollen that an off-the-shelf sleeve is impossible to fit and they will have to do a rare custom order.


Wrap this!!!


Today I was back to my OT getting my bi-weekly massage (boobie massage) when we noticed my numbers were increasing. With the swelling now traveling more to my hand it was time to get a compression wrap. No more waiting for the medical supply store or the ordered sleeve. She was going to wrap my arm like a compressed mummy.

While the wrap looks like a typical bandage wrap, it is different. The pressure garments are made of fabric designed to put controlled amounts of pressure on different parts of the arm to help move fluid and keep it from building up. The wrap starts at the hand and works up towards the arm pit. Each layer progressing upwards. And each layer is tight, but not cutting off circulation. Underneath and/or on top a layer of compression material is placed for additional compression.


Wrap that arm!


My officially wrapped arm is snug. I mean it is tight and hard to move. I now realize the reason the wrap might work so well is because it limits your usability of the limb. I know that they encourage and you are suppose to use the wrapped arm, but everything was tougher to do. I mean I was shifting everything to my left hand from driving the car to answering the phone to eating my meals to bathroom care... left hand please.


 
Compression on! My poor swollen giant hand!


However, by the next morning my upper arm swelling had gone down a little. My hands still needed some relief so I gave myself another lymphatic massage and then re-wrapped myself to hopefully keep the swelling away. I was told to keep myself under wraps for the remainder of the week and all weekend. I am going to get tired of my limitations really quickly... someone grant me patience!!!!


Look the compression is working...

In my head...


So, I am learning that the more I use my right arm, especially in the heat, the more I swell. I actually have limitations... argh! The frustrating part is damage to the lymph system cannot be repaired. The best things I can do is continue the treatment given to control the swelling caused by lymphedema. The goal is to keep other problems from developing or getting worse... and hopefully I can learn to actually manage it long term.

Things that can make lymphedema worse: heat/sunburn (weather affects me), lifting too much weight (even small weight), repetitive motions (vacuuming, mopping, raking, etc), small cuts, shaving, warm showers/baths/water, undergarments (aka my stupid bra), and definitely NO blood pressure, IVs, needles in the arm!!! Learn more about preventing flare ups - Click Here.

I think I am going to have to really gain a lot of patience. I have daily health requirements that will last for a long time... I am suppose to give myself multiple lymphatic massages. I am suppose to wear compression garments. I am suppose to take medicine. Dang it... I have to be responsible for my health! I am inherently lazy about self care!!!

Every one who knows me is laughing at that last comment because they know how true it is!


“The strongest of all warriors are these two — Time and Patience.” 
- Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace


Episode Reference: Here it goes again, OK go song

Just when you think that you're in control,
just when you think that you've got a hold,
just when you get on a roll,
here it goes, here it goes, here it goes again.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Friends i am so glad to writing this article today to tell the world how Dr OSO cured my lymphedema ,i have been detected with lymphedema since five years ago, ever since then my life has been in complete bizarre and agony,i have used so many drugs that was prescribed to me by several doctors,but it didn't cure my lymphedema neither did it reduce the pain,until a certain i was checking for solution in the internet,then miraculously came across Dr OSO the powerful herbalist that cure numerous individuals lymphedema INFECTION,then i contacted his whatsApp number at +2348162084839 or email: drosohaberhome@gmail.com i explained everything to him and him prepared a medicine that cure my lymphedema disease totally after receiving his herbal medicine, so my friends viewers why wait and be suffer when there is someone like Dr OSO that can cure any disease HIV/ CANCER/ HEPATITIS B VIRUS, you can contact his via : nativehealthclinic@gmail.com. or WHATSAPP +2348162084839 GOD BLESS YOU ALL?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good day to all, am so happy sharing this great testimony on here, I was diagnose of Stage IV colon cancer.i was checking for solution in the internet then miraculously i came Across Dr God hands the powerful herbalist that Cure Numerous Diseases such as-
    Thyroid Cancer
    Uterine cancer
    Fibroid
    Angiopathy
    Ataxia
    Arthritis
    Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
    Brain Tumor
    Fibromyalgia
    Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Bladder cancer
    Brain cancer
    Hiv
    Herpes
    Esophageal cancer
    Gallbladder cancer
    Gestational trophoblastic disease
    Head and neck cancer
    Hodgkin lymphoma
    Intestinal cancer
    Kidney cancer
    Hpv
    Lung cancer
    Melanoma
    Mesothelioma
    Multiple myeloma
    Neuroendocrine tumors
    Non-Hodgkin lymphoma
    Oral cancer
    Ovarian cancer
    Sinus cancer
    Hepatitis A,B/C
    Skin cancer
    Soft tissue sarcoma
    Pancreatic Cancer
    Spinal cancer
    Stomach cancer
    Vaginal cancer
    Vulvar cancer
    Testicular cancer
    Tach Diseases
    Leukemia
    Liver cancer
    Throat cancer
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresS sclerosis
    Alzheimer's disease
    Chronic Diarrhea
    Copd
    Parkinson
    Als
    Adrenocortical carcinoma Infectious mononucleosis.
    I contacted him based on the testimonies I?m seeing about him on the internet, I was cured too by him, kindly contact him today through his email he can help you.doctorgodhands@gmail.com and his herbal medicines will set you free from any human diseases,all thank to you Dr god hands for your kindly help in my life his Mobile number Whatsapp.+2349057214220.

    ReplyDelete